|| ||Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <lasgouttes-AT-lyx.org>|
|| ||LyX Mechanics <lyx-devel-AT-lists.lyx.org>,
LyX Users <lyx-users-AT-lists.lyx.org>,
LyX Announce <lyx-announce-AT-lists.lyx.org>|
|| ||ANNOUNCE: LyX 1.4.2 is released|
|| ||Thu, 13 Jul 2006 10:41:26 +0200|
Public release of LyX version 1.4.2
We are pleased to announce the release of LyX 1.4.2. This is a bug fix
release that improves performance, stability and native OS support.
Notable new features include:
- LyX now automatically uses file viewers and editors set at OS level
[Windows and Mac OS X only].
- The windows installer has been completely rewritten.
- A new function buffer-toggle-compression (and corresponding entry in
the Document menu) has been added to change whether the file will be
compressed on disk or not.
- A "LaTeX (pdflatex)" output format has been added. This new output
format produces .tex files that are suitable for pdflatex, including
figure conversion to png, pdf or jpeg instead of eps.
See the file RELEASE-NOTES for some known problems in this release.
In case you are wondering what LyX is, here is what
http://www.lyx.org/ has to say on the subject:
LyX is a document processor that encourages an approach to writing
based on the structure of your documents, not their appearance. It
is released under a Free Software / Open Source license.
LyX is for people that write and want their writing to look great,
right out of the box. No more endless tinkering with formatting
details, 'finger painting' font attributes or futzing around with page
boundaries. You just write. In the background, Prof. Knuth's legendary
TeX typesetting engine makes you look good.
On screen, LyX looks like any word processor; its printed output -- or
richly cross-referenced PDF, just as readily produced -- looks like
nothing else. Gone are the days of industrially bland .docs, all
looking similarly not-quite-right, yet coming out unpredictably
different on different printer drivers. Gone are the crashes 'eating'
your dissertation the evening before going to press.
LyX is stable and fully featured. It is a multi-platform, fully
internationalized application running natively on Unix/Linux, the
Macintosh and modern Windows platforms.
You can download LyX 1.4.2 here (the .bz2 are compressed with bzip2,
which yields smaller files):
and it should propagate shortly to the following mirrors (which will also host
the .bz2 versions):
Prebuilt binaries (rpms for linux distributions, Mac OS X and Windows
installers) should soon be available at
If you already have the LyX 1.4.1 sources, you may want to apply one
of the following patches instead
Note that this patch will not produce valid LyX/Mac sources, since
some binary files have been added for this release.
If you find what you think is a bug in LyX 1.4.2, you may either
e-mail the LyX developers' mailing list (lyx-devel <at> lists.lyx.org), or open
a bug report at http://bugzilla.lyx.org
If you're having trouble using the new version of LyX, or have a question,
first check out http://www.lyx.org/help/. If you can't find the answer there,
e-mail the LyX users' list (lyx-users <at> lists.lyx.org).
The LyX team.
What's new in version 1.4.2?
- LyX now automatically uses file viewers and editors set at OS level
[Windows and Mac OS X only] (bug 2017).
- Add a new function buffer-toggle-compression (and corresponding entry
in the Document menu) to change whether the file will be compressed
on disk or not.
- Update the German, Hungarian, Italian (bug 2650), Polish, Slovak,
Spanish and Turkish localizations of the interface.
- Update translations of documentation for German (all) and Hungarian
(Introduction, splash document, new tutorial examples).
- Add support for Austrian (new spelling) as a document language.
- Add the "LaTeX (pdflatex)" output format. This new output format produces
.tex files that are suitable for pdflatex, including figure conversion
to png, pdf or jpeg instead of eps.
- Add biographynophoto style to IEEEtran.layout; add a new text class for
International Journal of Modern Physics C (and update support for
- Add buttons for \overset and \underset to the math panel (bug 2533).
- Add support for the dvipdfmx converter.
- Add tgif->ppm and tgif->png converters for preview of tgif figures.
- Add native support for \intop and \ointop. (Display only; not in
the math panel yet.)
** Bug fixes
* User Interface:
- Much better performance when using natbib/jurabib citations (bug 2460).
- Much better performance of screen updating in LyX/Mac, and with an
- Don't jump back to the previous cursor position when trying to click on
an inset (bug 2526).
- Fix several cursor movement functions when initiating a selection
(bugs 2119 and 2259, and a crash).
- Disable saving of bookmarks in mathed because it is not yet supported
and makes LyX crash (bug 2597).
- Fix a crash when pasting contents from the clipboard to a tabular
- When pasting contents to a tabular with the middle mouse button, the
language could sometimes be changed. This is fixed now.
- Text copied from an ERT box no longer has the pseudo "latex" language
- Fix a crash when selecting and deleting "blue" paragraph break in
change tracking mode.
- Set change tracking marks properly when copying between documents
with different change tracking status (bug 2207).
- Fix a crash when reading documents containing bogus change tracking
markup due to the bug above (bug 2614).
- Fix any remaining "ghost" empty paragraphs when selecting and deleting
multiple paragraphs (bug 2516).
- Fix the display of horizontal fill which appears at the end of a line
- Fix a crash when changing document class while the cursor is inside a
- Fix a crash when there is a syntax error in a keyboard map file (bug 2604).
- Fix a crash on exit on MacOS X, and the well known "Mutex destroy failure"
error message on Linux (qt frontend, bugs 2549 and 1029).
- Paint the tabular background (bug fix).
- Fix a bug where the spellchecker doesn't pop up the dialog window for
the first misspelled word (bug 2218).
- Fix spell checking in tables (bug 2675).
- Cosmetic fixes to the document dialog (Qt only).
- Reduce the right margin on screen from 30 pixels to 10.
* Math editor:
- Fix the metrics of AMS array environments like bmatrix, vmatrix etc.
- Fix undo in matrices.
- Fix a crash when deleting the last row of an equation (bug 2655).
* Document input/output:
- Convert definitions of itemize and enumerate environments in old layout
- Fix the conversion of minipages (default height and inner vertical
position) from LyX 1.3 documents.
- Make sure that the amsmath package is used in LaTeX output when
using the AMS-specific commands \xleftarrow, \xrightarrow or the
array constructs split, gathered, aligned and alignedat (bug 2149).
- Load the tipa package automatically when needed.
- Properly strike out deleted math formulas when change tracking is
active (bug 2214).
- Don't get confused by 0-Characters in MikTeX logfiles anymore.
- Always honor the "Requirement" tag in External Template Definitions.
- Fix tex2lyx to handle whitespace in front of required arguments (bug 2546).
- Update templates and examples to the latest file format.
- Enable jpeg graphics whose suffix is in capital letters (.JPG) work with
pdflatex (bug 2235).
- Fix a LaTeX crash on multi-paragraph boxes.
- Fix LaTeX errors with memoir and makeindex (bug 2623).
- Replace the old sh version of lib/configure with the new python version
lib/configure.py. The TexFiles.sh script (which crashed on Windows)
has also been pythonified.
- It is longer necessary to run lib/configure.py in the main LyX
- Reading of configuration now goes like this: LyX first reads the file
lyxrc.dist (if it exists). If lib/configure.py is newer than
any of lyxrc.defaults, textclass.lst or packages.lst, it is re-run
before loading lyxrc.defaults and preferences.
- Automatically use fonts in the fonts/ subdirectory of the LyX support
directory on Windows.
- When compiling with --with-version-suffix on Windows, do not
rename the executable files.
- Fix lib/configure.py to find tex2lyx when compiling with
--with-version-suffix (bug 2285).
- Fix lib/configure.py to find tex2lyx if the path to it contains spaces.
- Use the clean_dvi.py script on Windows not only in the installer but also
in the source package.
- Fix the code to find the localization of the interface on Windows
and Mac OS X.
- Fix hyphens in man pages.
- Replace the \cygwin_path_fix_needed preference with the better named
\tex_expects_windows_paths; this is auto-detected and matters only on
- Remove the --enable-compression-support option of configure. Compression
support via zlib is now a requirement.
- Fix compilation on DragonFly BSD.
to post comments)