|| ||Tristan Van Berkom <tristan.van.berkom-AT-gmail.com>|
|| ||[glade-3] The menu editor snapshot|
|| ||Thu, 26 Jan 2006 18:10:10 -0500|
A few months and one menu-editor later, we give you the second
snapshot of glade-3 or "the menu-editor snapshot", also heaping with new
features and bugfixes :)
So please, have fun trying to break the editor and tell us what gives ;-)
What is glade-3
Glade is a RAD tool to enable quick & easy development of user
for the Gtk+ toolkit and the GNOME desktop environment. The user interfaces
designed in Glade are stored in XML format, enabling easy integration with
external tools. In particular libglade can load the XML files and create the
interfaces at runtime.
This version of Glade (Glade-3) is a complete rewrite of the original
One of the main differnces from glade-2 is that C code generation
has been removed: this has been done on purpose, since using generated
code is deprecated; the preferred way to use glade files is with libglade
(if code generation is needed, this can be provided as another tool or
code generation is simply not a part of the glade-3 project).
Another main difference is that glade-3 was designed to make maximal use
of GObject introspection, thus easing the integration of external
handling widgets, signals and properties genericly; thus making it easier
to write fancy features in the future. Toolkits such as gtk+ itself, gnome,
gnome-db and any others are implemented externaly as widget catalogs
with optional support libraries, thus catalogs may be distributed seperatly;
possibly along with their libglade support modules.
It also has a few useful new features such as stacked Undo/Redo and Multiple
Project support and respects the same XML format as glade-2.
New features and fixes
- The amazing new menu editor is here ! (Juan Pablo Ugarte)
- Added GladeEditorProperty objects, a GtkWidget descendant
capable of editing properties (one subclass available for
every method of editing properties).
- GladeProjectView displays internal widget descriptors and
- Project menu item glitch fixed.
- Fixed "paste" using keyboard shortcuts
- Show "save as" dialog on save when previous save failed
- Added widgets GtkCombo, GtkList, GtkCList, ComboBox & ComboBoxEntry
- Delete in property editor not to delete project widgets (only text
- Text properties now scroll (bugzilla 316232)
- Translate strings from catalog files (this includes translating
the gtk+.xml.in using intltool & using dgettext on strings parsed
from the catalog).
- Implemented command groups (for undo/redo actions on a complex
series of glade commands), used by the new editor.
- Undo/Redo buttons now display action content in tooltips.
- Added GladeEPropObject, generic support for object type properties.
- Updated plugin writer documentation (widgets/adding-widgets.txt)
- All project paths are now absolute canonical paths
- Added GladeEPropResource for resource file type properties,
glade will try to always keep a copy of all project resources
in the same directory as the glade file.
- Fixed signal loading (bug 326715)
- Fixed persisting i18n metadata (bug 325628)
- Implemented <requires> functionality in glade files
(save required plugins and gracefully display errors if
the requested catalog isnt available).
- Multiple projects with the same name now supported.
- Misc bugfixes and code improvements from myself Juan Pablo Ugarte and
Lluis Sanchez Gual
New and updated translations
- Funda Wang (zh_CN)
- Francisco Javier F. Serrador (es)
- Adam Weinberger (en_CA)
- Kjartan Maraas (nb, no)
- Raphael Higino (pt_BR)
Where can I get it ?
Project home page: http://glade.gnome.org/
gnome-announce-list mailing list
to post comments)