|| ||Media Relations <media-relations-AT-lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>|
|| ||[media-relations] YDL 4.1 beta ISOs Available from YDL.net|
|| ||Thu, 22 Dec 2005 09:40:26 -0700|
Fellow YDL Enthusiasts,
At the end of April we released Yellow Dog Linux 4.0.90, our first mainstream
64-bit Linux distribution. Four months later, as we were finalizing v4.1 and
initiating beta testing, a nasty bug concerning gcc 3.3 was discovered. The
only practical solution was to update to gcc 3.4, which invoked a complete
rebuild of YDL (and a great deal of effort).
After a few months redevelopment and several weeks beta testing via the
ydl-beta list, we are very pleased with results. YDL v4.1 is nearly complete,
with a list of vastly improved features:
* Linux kernel version 2.6.15-rc5.
* Basic 64-bit development and runtime support.
* X.org 6.8.2, featuring improved Radeon dual-head support.
* Installation to FireWire drives, including iPods.
* USB device auto-mount under both KDE & GNOME.
* Updated KDE and GNOME desktops.
* Greatly improved sound support.
* Firefox and Thunderbird 1.5.
* A completely rebuilt KDE and Gnome "start" menu for vastly improved
navigation of the graphical user interface.
... and general refinement of the end-user experience. In addition, we are
hoping to include two late arrivals: basic support for dual/quad core
PowerMac G5s, and an alpha driver for the Airport Extreme wireless adapter.
Codenamed "Sagitta", YDL v4.1 beta ISOs are immediately available via YDL.net
Enhanced accounts (www.ydl.net). The YDL v4.1 "gold master" will be available
before the close of December, with the box sets shipping from Terra Soft and
its resellers two weeks thereafter.
We appreciate your patience with the delivery of this release. As v4.1 is to
date the most refined, polished release of Yellow Dog Linux, we believe it is
well worth the wait.
Lead YDL Engineer
Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
media-relations mailing list
to post comments)