|| ||Erik van Konijnenburg <firstname.lastname@example.org>|
|| ||[ANNOUNCE] yaird 0.0.12, a mkinitrd based on hotplug concepts|
|| ||Fri, 9 Dec 2005 00:22:35 +0100|
Version 0.0.12 of yaird is now available at:
Yaird is a proof of concept perl rewrite of mkinitrd. It aims to
reliably identify the necessary modules by using the same algorithms
as hotplug, and comes with a template system to to tune the tool for
different distributions and experiment with different image layouts.
It requires a 2.6 kernel with hotplug. There is a paper discussing it at
the above location.
Hmm, now that hotplug is being replaced with udev, it's time to come up
with a new blurb ...
Anyway, since the tool now has it's own project page and mailing list
at alioth, I plan to announce future releases only on yaird-devel,
no longer on linux-hotplug-devel or linux-kernel.
Summary of user visible changes:
* Support EVMS
* Support new hardware: DAC960, Apple MESH, Compaq SmartArray,
* Configuration files are now in /usr/local/etc/yaird
or /etc/yaird, no longer in /usr/local/lib/yaird/conf.
* Avoid ide-generic if at all possible, because it's slower than
other IDE drivers.
* The initrd example template is no longer installed.
While it is nice that supporting initrd is possible
in principle, there are no benefits in practice over
using initramfs, and keeping it in working order is a pain.
* Module 'fbcon' is now loaded by default; this should allow
using a framebuffer console.
* Adapt for mdadm > 1.9.0 output format.
* Adapt for input driver from 2.6.15 kernel.
* New 'OPTIONAL MODULE' keyword for configuration file.
- blacklist was sometimes ignored.
- missing line number from template file in some error messages.
- some variants of fstab format were not recognised:
LABEL=/, fstype 'auto', fstype 'ext3,vfat', missing fields
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to email@example.com
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/