Bernstein is a different beast
Posted Sep 23, 2005 0:25 UTC (Fri) by pm101
In reply to: Reiser4 and kernel inclusion
Parent article: Reiser4 and kernel inclusion
The problem with Bernstein's software is the ultrarestrictive license. It is very robust and very secure, but if Bernstein gets hit by a bus tomorrow, there will be no more updates. More likely, if Bernstein has a philosophical swing of some sort tomorrow, he is free to modify his software appropriately, and you're either stuck with no more updates, have to switch platforms, or have to buy into his new software. He's working on a replacement for the SMTP protocol. Lets say that ten years down the line, 75% of the mail servers out there support it, and he decides to remove SMTP support from qmail to force the remaining 25% to switch. What do you do? Let's say that he decides enough people adopted qmail, and now he wants to make some cash off of it, and the new versions are only available for $1k per seat. What do you do?
Assholes are okay, so long as they use the GPL. Assholes with proprietary licenses are a different beast. I don't want my infrastructure to be dependend on some unstable guy's mood swings. See BitKeeper for an example of what can happen when you do.
to post comments)