|| ||Jon Phillips <jon-AT-rejon.org>|
|| ||LWN.net <lwn-AT-lwn.net>|
|| ||Gotmail 0.8.6 Released!|
|| ||Tue, 23 Aug 2005 00:25:47 -0700 (PDT)|
August 23, 2005 - The Gotmail project, a perl script which downloads mail from
hotmail.com without user interaction, released version 0.8.6 today. This
version adds support for running the script on the various Windows platforms.
Additionally, thanks to new developer, Jos De Laender, Gotmail now has support
for multiple languages. There are many new commandline options as well as
several improvements with the packaging for the project. This means that it is
simpler for distribution packagers to build Gotmail easily.
The coming months will see new additions to Gotmail and a redo on the system's
debugging output. Also, with the changes on the script's localization,
user's should expect to see further language support additions.
The Gotmail development community thrives off of users of the script, and ask
for people to visit http://gotmail.sf.net/ to test out the latest version,
file bug reports, and join the development process.
Itemized list of major changes:
* Multi-language support detection
* VERSION file sets version in one place.
* Makefile now does 'make dist' to make all packages like tarball, zip,
rpm, src rpm, etc.
* Set gotmail to run silent by default to be a good unix citizen. If
there is an error then a non-zero status is returned. The output can
be turned on again with the --debug setting and other verbosity
* WIN32 Support: Added windows compatibility to the script. This
includes some code to do OS checking to prepare for possible future
differences between systems which might need to be accounted for.
* Added two new options: -l, --log <path_to_logfile> and
--use-log which then explictly writes a log.
* README: Added instructions for using gotmail on Windows.
* Updated the man page with all new options.
* Makefile: Make more packager-friendly by adding DESTDIR support
and generally tidying up. Add "rpm", "srpm", and "rpms" targets
for building binary RPM, source RPM, or both.
* Added gotmail.spec for RPM building.
* Merged patch by Jens E. Madsen Jr. to clean up temporary files on exit.
* Merged another patch by same author that adds --summary option.
Packages ready for download:
to post comments)