The kernel and BitKeeper part ways
Posted Apr 7, 2005 14:18 UTC (Thu) by farnz
In reply to: The kernel and BitKeeper part ways
Parent article: The kernel and BitKeeper part ways
The version of events I've heard from the rumour mill is as follows:
- Andrew Tridgell (of Samba fame) starts reverse engineering BK in his spare time.
- BitMover asks OSDL to tell him to stop, as they believe it infringes their licence.
- OSDL tell him to stop, making it clear that any work done on OSDL time is going to cost him his job; he continues working on it in his spare time.
- BitMover tells OSDL that he's still hacking on it, and demand that he's told to stop.
- OSDL turn round and say that he's not doing it on work time, so they can't do more to stop him.
- BitMover tell OSDL to fire him or they'll withdraw the licence. OSDL refuse.
- The licence is withdrawn.
Of course, this is all rumour, and backed up with as much evidence as you'd expect from rumour.
to post comments)