|| ||Colin Watson <cjwatson-AT-ubuntu.com>|
|| ||ubuntu-users-AT-lists.ubuntu.com, ubuntu-devel-AT-lists.ubuntu.com|
|| ||Array CD 5|
|| ||Thu, 17 Feb 2005 03:20:06 +0000|
Array CD 5 is ready. This is the fifth in a series of milestone CD
images, released when they're known to be reasonably free of showstopper
CD-build or installer bugs, while representing very current snapshots of
Hoary. You can download it here:
See http://www.ubuntu.com/wiki/Archive for access instructions.
Pre-release versions of Hoary are *not* encouraged for anyone needing a
stable system or anyone who is not comfortable running into occasional
breakage. They *are* recommended for Ubuntu developers and those who
want to help in testing, reporting, and fixing bugs.
As with Array CD 4, this release includes both the Install CD and the
Some notable installer improvements and bug-fixes in this release:
* Fixed grub segfault on AMD64. Running grub-install is safe again.
* Some very preliminary support for automatic installations using
Kickstart, in addition to the automatic installation method
("preseeding") provided by debian-installer; not finished or
documented yet, but I'd be interested to hear from people who need
* Move installer logs from /var/log/debian-installer/ to
/var/log/installer/, to reduce confusion.
* Improvements to installer rescue mode user interface.
* USB installations now supported on powerpc.
* Avoid signature validation errors when installing on systems with
badly skewed clocks.
* Allow selecting multiple supported locales in expert mode. (The UI
is still poor; this was added primarily for Kickstart support.)
* Fixed network device name display in network configurator.
* Add initial user to new 'admin' group and add that group to
/etc/sudoers, rather than adding the initial user to /etc/sudoers
* Use <country-code>.archive.ubuntu.com in default
/etc/apt/sources.list. For most countries this is still just the
master archive, but this is expected to change.
* Fix LVM and software RAID support to work with udev. (However, LVM
installations do not yet work on amd64; this will be rectified
* LVM support in installer rescue mode.
* Fix hang when installing alongside certain internationalised
versions of Windows.
* Fix failure to install the ELILO boot loader on ia64.
Notable fixes specific to the live CD in this release:
* Try to eject the CD at shutdown or reboot.
* The help screens at boot time now have more appropriate text.
* Ramdisk size increased, allowing more flexibility.
If you're interested in following changes as we further develop Hoary,
have a look at the hoary-changes list:
Bug reports should go here:
Colin Watson [email@example.com]
ubuntu-users mailing list
to post comments)