The Non-Linux roadmap
Posted Dec 16, 2004 16:55 UTC (Thu) by dmag
Parent article: The Linux roadmap
I think the biggest problem with roadmaps is that they are meaningless. What happens if the vendor doesn't deliver? Does anyone even check? Hmm, just off the top of my head, picking one company at random...
- Cairo, WinFS, etc. - Oops, did we say it would be in this release? We meant the next release. Promise. We really mean it this time.
- HailStorm - oh, drat, it didn't work so we scrapped it
- .NET services - Umm, maybe we over-hypped it a little..
- Passport - scaled back to the point of obscurity
- Blackbird - Anybody remember MS's proprietary version of the Internet?
- Foxpro - They prommised not to pull the plug, then they did.
- Java support - Arrg.
- RDAC? (Remote Data Access Component?) - Supposed to make it easier for web pages to get data from your DB thru IIS. Turned out to be just another security hole.
to post comments)