Mozilla.org has released version 0.1 of
a lighweight web browser.
"Phoenix is a redesign of the Mozilla browser component, similar to Galeon, K-Meleon and Chimera, but written using the XUL user interface language and designed to be cross-platform.
release notes and FAQ state that Phoenix is primarily designed to be
fast, but without sacrificing features.
Some of the currently implemented features include:
- A Customizable toolbar.
- A Bookmarks and History Quicksearch capability.
- Fast start-up and operation.
- An overhauled Bookmarks Manager with undo/redo.
- A new look based on the Orbit theme.
- "Reasonable" Default Settings for pop-up blocking, tabbed browsing, and other features.
- Support for plugins like flash and real.
The list of planned features include:
- Satchel, a replacement for Mozilla's Wallet functionality.
- A new Plug-in and Add-on Manager.
- A new Download Manager.
- "your favorite" preferences.
Phoenix is currently around 8MB in size, the developers are working
to shrink it down to 6MB.
The software is still very new, with a number of known (and likely
unknown) bugs. It should be interesting to watch this project
to post comments)