Posted May 31, 2002 23:22 UTC (Fri) by corbet
Parent article: Welcome to the new LWN.net!
Thanks, everybody, for pounding on the sites and for all of your comments. I
expected a lot more griping than I've heard so far :)
In response to a few specific things:
- MSIE troubles: I really wanted to try out the site with MSIE before
switching over, but couldn't find one that actually worked. We don't have
much of that stuff around here. We'll fix the problem somehow. About 1/4
of our readers use MSIE, we do want them to be happy.
- How did we have to tweak things? The main thing I had to do was
to turn off KeepAlives in Apache. If our server had more memory we could
probably afford to have a lot of httpds sitting around waiting; as it is,
the performance problems vanished as soon as I turned that feature off.
- Releasing our code: it's on the list, but not anytime real soon. I
want to get a lot of things into better shape first. Eventually we will
put it out there.
- Large headlines: we've heard you. They will shrink some when I
put in the next code update, and eventually become configurable.
- Boxes with rules: when the update goes in, you'll be able to
turn them off. (And yes, I've read Tufte, and even seen him speak, back
about 1984. Smart guy.)
- Logging in with lynx: didn't think to try that. We'll figure it out.
to post comments)