The new layout is "interesting".
Posted May 31, 2002 22:31 UTC (Fri) by kune
In reply to: Welcome to the new LWN.net!
Parent article: Welcome to the new LWN.net!
"interesting" must of course be read as bad.
1. All the boxes with rules -- Typographers and Designers would call them prisons.
2. You are using to many different fonts (bold, serif, sans-serif, many sizes). Reducing the differences would improve the design. Tufte explains in Visual Explanations the principle of the minimal recognizable difference.
3. The color contrast between the agressive green and the agressive blue for used and unused links is to strong.
4. You should think about going back to Times Roman, I loved that on your old web site.
I recommend to read Bringhurst "The Elements of Typographic Style", it's a great intellectual pleasure.
After previewing my comment:
5. Why you don't preserve my paragraphs?
to post comments)